OVER $4,000 IN AWARDS!
The Social Venture Competition celebrates and rewards students who have developed solutions intended to impact society’s biggest problems. Turn your IDEAS INTO IMPACT by submitting your proposal to this showcase event.
What kind of ideas qualify as social ventures?
- Have a clear, measurable social or environmental “benefit” included in the venture’s mission
- Have a planned source of revenue sufficient to sustain the proposed venture
- Be potentially scalable, thus increasing the likelihood of significant societal impact
- Include at least one UCF student on the founding team (only students may present during the event)
- The competition is open to all full-time and part-time undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at UCF during the 2018-2019 academic year. A venture’s management team must consist of at least one UCF student who has a key role and ownership stake in the venture. Alumni and non-students may participate as members of a venture’s founding team. However, only UCF students may participate in presentations or answer questions from judges.
- Submissions may be entered by individuals or teams. The size of the teams is not restricted. A team may enter only one idea, and students may participate on only one team.
- Entries must be the original work of entrants, and only complete applications will be considered.
- New venture proposals that have earned scholarship awards in a previous UCF Social Venture Competition are not eligible to participate.
- Venture addresses a clearly defined social problem
- Venture targets a market in which there is potential economic opportunity
- Venture offers a clear value proposition(s) to its customers, beneficiaries, and other key stakeholders
- Venture has a viable revenue model that shows clear understanding of key cost drivers, revenue streams
- Social impact scales as company grows
- Social impact projections are based on reasonable assumptions and credible data
- Team has designed a clear plan for measuring social impact
- Team has a clear execution plan and is prepared to address potential risks
- Venture’s legal form (e.g. for profit, non-profit, etc.) supports its vision and desired outcomes
- Members are passionate, committed, and resourceful
- The conditions (i.e. regulatory, tax, political) are favorable
- Market need, size of opportunity, competitive landscape, and potential risks are identified and manageable
- Funding sources are identified and a plan for securing initial investment is articulated
- The funding plan is sensible in terms of capital required to launch and operate
- The plan provides a clear plan to deliver high performance
- The plan takes a practical approach to milestones and organizational outcome measurement
- The team was persuasive in communicating the idea and its potential
Eight teams will be selected for the event finals, and the order of presentations will be determined randomly prior to the beginning of the event. After the presentations are completed, participants and audience members will be invited to enjoy a networking and awards reception that honors our participants and our sponsor.
Important Dates, Times, and Locations
- Monday, Sept. 24, 12:00 pm – Information Session, Blackstone LaunchPad
- Monday, Oct. 8, 12:00 pm – Information Session, StarterSpace (BA1 Rm. 135)
- Wednesday, Oct. 17, 12:00 pm – Information Session, StarterSpace (BA1 Rm. 135)
- Monday, Oct. 29, 5:00 pm – Application Deadline
- Monday, November 5, 6:00 pm – Finalists Announced
- Thursday, Nov. 15, 3pm – FINALS, StarterSpace (BA1 Rm. 135)
Prizes and Rewards
1st Place: $2,500
2nd Place: $1,250
3rd Place: $500
Our Honorable Mention will receive $250 in funding
Interested competitors may complete an application by creating an account at tinyurl.com/UCFSVC2018 and follow the instructions on the application page. At any time during the application process, you may save your application and log back in to complete and submit your application at a later date.
Participants will be notified on Monday, November 5 if their venture was selected to compete in the Social Venture Competition Finals.